The Flowers Family

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mom/Nana to the Rescue!!

Nana and Payton
Having my mom around for that second week of Payton's life was amazing. I've never felt so close to her. I got up with Payton for all of her night time feedings, which is time that I have come to charrish so much.  Then when Payton got up for her 6 or 7am feeding, I would get everything ready and Payton and I would go down to the spare bedroom and wake up Nana for her shift. Then mommy would get some much needed rest and she would also get to take some much needed showers as well. :) Mom helped around the house when Payton took her naps during the day and was just so supportive and comforting.  She even went with me to Payton's two week check up appointment.  I have her 2 week checkup statistics somewhere, in our messy basement, as soon as I find them I'll post those for you as well.

We put Payton in an outfit that her Aunt Niki bought her, when we went to her doctor's appointment.  She looked so adorable.




Here I am with Miss Payton before we left for the doctor's office.  The shadows are from my cameras shutter not opening all the way.  We have a new camer now, thank goodness.
Here we are just getting into the office.
Getting her weight
Waiting for Doctor Camilli


The week before my mom came when Kurt was back at work, I was really struggling with the lack of sleep and lack of cleanliness in the house. I totally underestimated the complete exhaustion you feel as a new parent. I ended up breaking down a time or two to both Kurt and my mom over the phone. I remember one night Payton would not stop crying and I didn't know what to do. Nothing I did could get her to stop. Finally I broke down crying and reluctantly I had to wake Kurt up. He was so great he held the both of us for a bit, let me cry and assured me that everything was going to be alright. He took Payton and did everything he could think of to get her to calm down. He suggested going for a drive, but I didn't know if that was such a good idea given that we'd have to get a diaper bag together and one of us who were both so exhausted would have to drive. Instead he took her into the laundry room put a couple of thick blankets on the dryer, layed her on top of them and started the dryer. Amazingly enough it worked. She loved the movement and the warmth below her and the noise as well. She cried after the first couple of times we took her away from the laundry room and layed her in her basinett, but finally after a couple of tries she fell fast asleep and we were able to get her into her bassinet.


Kurt, Payton and I relaxing.  Another great thing about having my mom around is that I actually got to be in some pictures. :)

Our little Aunt Jemima

What a great husband and father Kurt is, he is one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me and now he has blessed us with an amazing little girl as well, I am so thankful. They are truely the two greatest loves of my life. I also can't thank my mom enough for being there for me that second week and for always being there for me when I need help even when she can't be here in person. Thanks Mom, I love you.


Here is a picture of Payton in a dress that I wore when I was a newborn back in 1980.  I wore this dress in Puerto Rico, we moved there when I was a month old.  Mom gave me the dress as one of our gifts at the baby shower.  It probably would have looked better without the headband and pants, but it was so sweet to see her in something that I wore when I was as little as her.



One day that same week, some of my friends from PAi, Jenny and Amanda, came to visit us.  I was so happy they came, it meant a lot to me to have friends around at this amazing and overwhelming time.  Here is a picture of us with Payton.

Me, Jenny(holding Payton) and Amanda


No comments: